Selecting the right builder for your project is the next important step. We have the privilege of working with many talented builders whom we are happy to recommend. If you have another person in mind for the job, we welcome the opportunity to discuss their work and previous projects with them.
Builder selection can be completed in two ways:
- A preferred builder is selected during the design process. This selection process allows us to seek initial costings from the builder and work closely with them to refine the details of the project to match your vision and budget. The builder will provide a final lump sum costing, and we will assess whether this accurately reflects the scope of works.
- A formal tendering process can be conducted where we invite up to four builders to cost the project using all the information gathered in the construction documentation stage. This process concludes with a review of the tenders and a recommendation on which builder to select.
Once a builder has been selected, we prepare the contract documentation and arrange for all parties to sign off before construction commences.
We typically use a design matters contract which allows the designer to administer the project on your behalf. This building contract provides security to you, the homeowner, during the construction process.
From here, we oversee communications between the builder and yourself, the client. This can include:
- Facilitating site meetings
- Visiting the site to observe construction and ensure quality control of the design and project management
- Assessing variations made by the builder and seeking your approval for such amendments
- Tracking expenditures and changes to the budget
- Instructing builders/contractors to rectify any incomplete work or defects.
When construction is complete, we will assess the building and issue a notice of practical completion. After this occurs, the builder will be able to hand over the property to you. If any defects arise during the liability period, we will continue to oversee the project until completion.